The Danish royal family have been connected with the Buffs, then Queen's Regiment and now the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment since 1689. This beautiful statuette helps to cement the close ties.
The Battalion has three oak, four legged, rectangular tables, each with the Royal Hampshire's crest carved into the top. There is a magazine/paper tray at mid-level. The Hampshire Regiment was formed in 1881, with the merging of the 37th (North Hampshire) and 67th (South Hampshire) Regiments. Following over half a century's campaigning, the Regiment received its Royal prefix in 1946 following the Second World War.
The Dettingen Cup was presented by Lieutenant Colonel HL Smith DSO to his brother officers on leaving the Regiment on 21 June 1911. It depicts an event which occurred during the Battle of Dettingen in June 1743 where His Majesty King George II, led the British forces into battle, including 20th & 31st Foot. Mistaking the 31st Huntingdonshire Regiment for the 3rd Buffs, as their facings were similar, called out "Bravo Buffs" and when reminded it was the 31st his Majesty re-joined "Bravo Young Buffs".
A special note is made here about the little-known war in the Oman, which lasted from 1968 to 1975. The British Government were requested to provide troops to support the Sultan of Oman in his endeavour to prevent Marxist groups in the province of Dhofar from overthrowing him. Elements of The 22nd Special Air Service Regiment were deployed to the area in 1972. At dawn on 19th July, a large rebel force, of about 250 strong, attacked the Port of Mirbat.
Diana, Princess of Wales, was appointed as the Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Hampshire Regiment in 1985. This was a popular choice throughout the Regiment especially as she had visited the 1st Battalion regularly, including during their residential tour of Londonderry in 1991. It was considered to be a logical choice of name for the new regiment when it was formed in 1992 and she became the first Colonel-in-Chief of the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment until she relinquished the post in 1996 following her separation from HRH Prince Charles.
Biography of Sergeant Johnson Beharry VC
Johnson Gideon Beharry was one of five brothers and three sisters. He was born on 26th July 1979 on the Island of Grenada. In 1999, aged 20, he moved to West London to study, to make a better life for himself and escape the poverty of living in a two roomed hut. Working on building sites life was tough. Feeling his life had no direction in August 2001 he enrolled in the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment. After completing initial training in Catterick he then trained as a Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicle driver.
This magnificent set of silver drums are inscribed with the Crest and Battle Honours of the Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment. The full set consists of 8 side drums, two tenor drums and a base drum. Only four of the side drums are depicted in these photos. Within the crest is the Regiment's motto "Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt" or "Where Right and Glory Lead".
This is an 1878 pattern British Blue Cloth Home Service Helmet.
The helmet plate (badge) has a St Edwards Crown which was in use from 1878 to 1901.
Adopted by the British Army in 1878 it was in use as the full dress helmet until 1914. Nowadays only some of the regimental bands wear them.
The silver frame contains portions of the Colours from the Crimea Campaign carried at The Battle of The Alma by the 77th East Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own). It is designed after a church entrance, with 2 front panels. The left panel is engraved with the Coat of Arms of Ensign AF Maine (Queen's Colour) and the right panel is engraved with the initials of Ensign FJ Butts (Regimental Colour).
This is an officer’s red tunic jacket showing close up detail of the East Surrey Regiment collar badge. The cuff embroidery shown is that of a Major of the Infantry of the Line. The epaulette shows the crown of a Major.