This fine piece of silver is a large fruit dish on a column entwined scroll and three kneeling figures and is enscribed 57th of Foot and engraved "The Captain Norman Memorial". This piece was presented to the officers of the 57th Regiment as a memorial to Captain George Herman Norman by his father George Warde Norman of Bromley, Kent.
Edward Cardwell, Liberal Secretary of State for War, introduced a number of major reforms in the Army during this period. This included the abolition of purchasing commissions and promotion. In 1872, he linked battalions in a regiment to ensure regular exchanges between home and overseas postings and gave each regiment a county affiliation and a recruiting and training depot within it.
The Horse is the badge of Kent, dating from the 6th century and ascribed to Horsa, the Saxon. It was the main badge of The Kent Militia, The Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment and The Queen’s Own Buffs. The remaining star is from the Order of The Garter, as explained earlier, when describing the Cap Badge. Both the Star and the Roussillon Plume come from The Royal Sussex Regiment. The plume commemorates the defeat of the French Roussillon Regiment by the 35th of Foot at the Battle of Quebec in 1759.
Each Battalion holds two Colours - The Queen's Colour and the Regimental Colour. The Colours of The 3rd Battalion The Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment are as illustrated below. The other Battalion’s Colours are identical, apart from the numeral. The Queen’s Colour, the senior Colour, displays forty-two battle honours from the First and Second World Wars. The Regimental Colour displays forty other battle honours, which include ‘Tangier 1662-80’, the oldest battle honour in the British Army, and ‘Korea 1950-51’, which is the Regiment’s most recent battle honour.
The Army went through a major reorganisation as a result of the end of The Cold War in 1989 and the collapse of the Soviet Empire and the threat from The Warsaw Pact. ‘Options for Change’ was the name given to the British review, which was announced in 1990 and aimed to produce ‘smaller, better equipped, properly trained and housed, and well motivated forces’. The planned reductions were delayed because of The Gulf War, but the final plan included the reduction of infantry strength from fifty-five to forty battalions.
The war in the Crimea was the result of Russian claims to the right to protect the Holy Places in Palestine, which were then in the . Britain and France were allies of Turkey and when the Ottoman sultan declared war on Russia, the British Army became involved. The 50th (Queen’s Own), 57th (West Middlesex) and the 77th (East Middlesex) were at the Alma River and at the Battle of Inkerman in 1854, where Sergeant J Park of the 77th became the first Regimental recipient of the newly instituted Victoria Cross.
The Dalhousie Tureen is an impressive, large silver soup tureen with cover and is inherited from the Queen's (Second) Royal Surrey Regiment. It is a rectangular shape with ‘reeded’ rim, engraved with Dalhousie and the Queen’s Regiment crest on the long side. It has ring handles within rams heads mounted on each end. The tureen sits on 4 large ball and claw feet. The cover is plain with a full model paschal lamb, the iconic emblem of the Royal Surrey Regiment, mounted atop.
August 2004: The battle Group based on 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales's Royal regiment took over responsibility for Maysan Province, Iraq, in April 2004. CIMIC House, the former residence of the Maysan Provincial Governor, is situated in the centre of Al Amaragh beside the River Tigris. The Coalition Provincial Authority (CPA) and Civil-Military Co-Operation (CIMIC) teams chose to use it as their base, and Y Company was deployed there to provide security.
Although lacking attachment to any direct action in the Peninsula War this piece is a tribute to a member of the Buffs who served, in a notable and trusted position, during this lengthy campaign; that being Paymaster Berry. The Douro is the river that runs through Porto, Portugal. The Douro Cup itself is the 2nd Battalion’s gold gilded silver cup. It has a fine lid and is ‘Campara’ shaped with applied vine leaf decoration and two masked handles. The body has an engraved Buffs badge and is surmounted with a bud finial.