Search Again
artefact

The Adjutant's Cane dates from the amalgamation of The Queen's Regiment and the Royal Hampshire Regiment on 9 September 1992. It was presented to the Officers' Mess by Captain MR Hanscomb who was the initial Adjutant of the 1st Battalion; he served in the role from 9 September 1992 until 25 June 1993. The cane itself is 70cm in length, with a silver knob acting as the hilt of the shaft, it is indented and engraved with the regimental capbadge. The end is silver capped with a length of the cane being blackened wood.

story

Adventure training opportunities provide another feature of service and Regimental life, which is rarely seen outside of the Armed Forces. A variety of rock-climbing, sailing, canoeing and walking expeditions have been organised since the Regiment’s existence throughout the United Kingdom. In addition, skiing expeditions have been run in France and Bavaria and rockclimbing and walking in Cyprus. Major expeditions have taken place in the Kenyan Samburuland, Malaysia, Alaska and Nepal, involving both regular and reserve soldiers.

artefact

This silver model and oak base is modelled after the Albuhera memorial in La Albuera, Spain. It consists of a silver brick base surmounted by four silver brick arches. eight columns and four Athenian porticos. Engraved on the base of two columns are the Spanish and Anglo Portuguese Generals. On the front portico is inscribed

Albuera
A Los Valientes del 16 de Mayo 1811
La Comision os
Monumentos de Badajoz

which translates to

Albuera
To the brave men of 16th May 1811
Dedicated by
The Monuments Commission of Badajoz

artefact

As well as the copy of the Loving Cup the 2nd Battalion are also fortunate enough to hold an item with an even more direct link to the Middlesex Regiment’s (57th foot) valiant action at Albuhera in the guise of a small, yet very fine silver snuff box mounted in a silver trolley. The lid is quite ornate with the 57th’s crest flanked by colours and many items depicting the Napoleonic era battlefield.

event

The Army went through a major reorganisation as a result of the end of The Cold War in 1989 and the collapse of the Soviet Empire and the threat from The Warsaw Pact. ‘Options for Change’ was the name given to the British review, which was announced in 1990 and aimed to produce ‘smaller, better equipped, properly trained and housed, and well motivated forces’. The planned reductions were delayed because of The Gulf War, but the final plan included the reduction of infantry strength from fifty-five to forty battalions.

artefact

This British issue anti-tank grenade, also known as Energa, was originally purchased from the Belgians to be fired from the No 4 .303 Rifle, made in Belgium by Mecar. These are early practice versions. They have a steel head are black and carry white markings.

The Dover museum holds three of these all slightly different.

a] Marked “TRAINING RIFLE GRENADE ENERGA”

b] Marked “GREN RIFLE AT 94 MK2” has a yellow band then marked “4-53” (denoting April 1953)

c] Marked “GREN RIFLE AT 94 MK2” has a green band the marked “5-54” (denoting May 1954)

artefact

This leather ammunition jacket was captured from the Arabs by the Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) during the Arab Revolt in Palestine 1936 - 1939. It provides accommodation for the carriage of 150 rounds of small arms ammunition.

artefact

The Queen’s (Second) Royal Regiment of Foot - 1874 to 1881 other ranks brass Glengarry badge, consists of a “2” in the centre of a strap inscribed “Queen’s Royal” surmounted with a “Paschal Lamb”

artefact

31st Huntingdonshire Regiment (later to become The East Surrey Regiment) - 1874 to 1881 other ranks brass Glengarry badge, consists of a ”31” in the centre of a strap inscribed “Huntingdonshire” surmounted with a “crown”.

artefact

97th or Earl of Ulster’s Regiment (later to become The Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment) - 1874 to 1881 other ranks brass Glengarry badge, consists of a “97” in the centre of a strap inscribed “Earl of Ulster’s” surmounted with a “crown”.

Read how the 97th of Foot via the National Army Museum