Search Again
artefact

This helmet was worn by other Ranks of the 4th Volunteer Battalion who were based in Lambeth and Southwark and descended from the 19th Surrey Rifle Volunteers and would become 24th Battalion of the London Regiment in 1908 before returning to the Queen’s Royal Regiment in 1937 to become it’s 7th Territorial Army Battalion. Sadly this helmet was destroyed in the Clandon House fire of April 2015.

artefact

57th (West Middlesex) Regiment of Foot {later to become The Duke of Cambridgeshire's Own (Middlesex Regiment)} - c 1879 brass Glengarry badge, consists of a “57” surrounded by laurel leaves with a “crown” on top and a scroll at the bottom inscribed “Albuhera”.

artefact

The Queen’s (Second) Royal Regiment of Foot - 1874 to 1881 other ranks brass Glengarry badge, consists of a “2” in the centre of a strap inscribed “Queen’s Royal” surmounted with a “Paschal Lamb”

artefact

31st Huntingdonshire Regiment (later to become The East Surrey Regiment) - 1874 to 1881 other ranks brass Glengarry badge, consists of a ”31” in the centre of a strap inscribed “Huntingdonshire” surmounted with a “crown”.

artefact

97th or Earl of Ulster’s Regiment (later to become The Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment) - 1874 to 1881 other ranks brass Glengarry badge, consists of a “97” in the centre of a strap inscribed “Earl of Ulster’s” surmounted with a “crown”.

artefact

This Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment) battledress is a 1949 pattern battle blouse issued in1955 in a size 6.

The name inside looks like RANDAY (or it could be RANDAL). He held the rank of Company Quartermaster Sergeant (CQMS) and equates to the rank of Staff or Colour Sergeant.

The shoulder title is a woven "Buffs".

The flash is of the 44th (Home Counties) Infantry Division (Embroidered red oval/yellow trident – 1956 pattern).

Colour Sergeant Randay was awarded the following medals. They are, looking from left to right:
Top row: 1939-45 Star, Africa Star

artefact

This is an 1878 pattern British Blue Cloth Home Service Helmet.

The helmet plate (badge) has a St Edwards Crown which was in use from 1878 to 1901.

Adopted by the British Army in 1878 it was in use as the full dress helmet until 1914. Nowadays only some of the regimental bands wear them.

artefact

This is an officer’s red tunic jacket showing close up detail of the East Surrey Regiment collar badge. The cuff embroidery shown is that of a Major of the Infantry of the Line. The epaulette shows the crown of a Major.

artefact

This particular Gorget was found on the Waterloo Battlefield after the battle and returned to the regiment but we have failed to find an officer that served there.

artefact

This Gorget was worn by an Officer of The Queen’s Royal Regiment and was the last piece of armour worn by soldiers, but at this time it was purely for decoration.