The Adjutant's Cane dates from the amalgamation of The Queen's Regiment and the Royal Hampshire Regiment on 9 September 1992. It was presented to the Officers' Mess by Captain MR Hanscomb who was the initial Adjutant of the 1st Battalion; he served in the role from 9 September 1992 until 25 June 1993. The cane itself is 70cm in length, with a silver knob acting as the hilt of the shaft, it is indented and engraved with the regimental capbadge. The end is silver capped with a length of the cane being blackened wood.
This model was made by Sergeant James Pearce in remembrance of the Battle of Sobraon, on of the major battles of the First Sikh War which started in 1845. "The Sutlej Campaign", as it was often referred to, was broken down into five battles: Ferozapur, Ferozashah, Mudki, Alliwal and Sobraon.
The item of property in the Warrant Officers' and Sergeants' Mess of 1st Battalion The Queen's Regiment was presented by WO1 (RSM) TR Farrow to the Mess on Commissioning. This is a piece of furniture with slots available for each of the Company Sergeant Majors to place their head-dress and pace sticks. Additionally there is a slot for the Regimental Sergeant Major as well. This is placed at the entrance to the Mess and gives anyone entering an early warning as to whom may be present within.
Captain James Harris was commissioned into the 1/4th Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment. In the First World War he served initially in India before being sent with the Battalion to Mesopotamia in March 1915 but was taken prisoner by the Turks after the fall of Kut al Amara in April 1916.
Allied soldiers who had been taken prisoner by the Turks were not well treated at all; they were forced to undertake hard physical work, primarily building the railway across Turkey. They were regularly starved and beaten and at least 65% of them died while in captivity.
The Battalion has three oak, four legged, rectangular tables, each with the Royal Hampshire's crest carved into the top. There is a magazine/paper tray at mid-level. The Hampshire Regiment was formed in 1881, with the merging of the 37th (North Hampshire) and 67th (South Hampshire) Regiments. Following over half a century's campaigning, the Regiment received its Royal prefix in 1946 following the Second World War.
This lacquered and inlaid officer’s table is a fine example of what would now be considered antique campaign furniture. Military cammpaign furniture was designed to be carried on campaigns. This table came apart into two pieces and folded flat for ease of transport. The design is of a Chinese style believed to be the mid to late 1800s.
The clay maquette was sculpted by Mary Beattie Scott and shows the Landing at ‘V’ Beach, Cape Helles, Turkey on 25th April 1915 from the Collier the River Clyde. The final bronze version now hangs in St Paul’s Cathedral in London.
Embroidered postcards from WW1 represent wonderful examples of art from the period. The majority of embroidered postcards from World War One were produced between 1914 and 1918 and featured many different designs. Generally up to 25 were embroidered by hand onto silk mesh strips, usually by French or Belgium women working at home or in refugee camps. They were then sent to factories to be cut and mounted on postcards.
The powder horn was carved and carried by a soldier of the Queen Dowager's Regiment. It has a map of North America in 1707 carved into the horn. It was purchased by an Ensign Holdsworth of the Regiment. He had silver embellishments added and it was mounted on a wooden base. He presented it to the Officers' Mess in 1837.
The inscription on the top of the horn reads:
Carved by a Soldier
of the Regiment
Presented to the Officers' Mess By
The town hall or Cloth Hall in Ypres as it was known was completely destroyed during the First World War. The keys to the outer gates reputedly got caught in the web equipment of Private FC Fidler of the 2nd Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment as he was passing through Ypres on his way home on leave and he attempted to bring them home with him as a souvenir.