This beautiful centrepiece originates from the 70th Foot, a forebear regiment of The East Surrey Regiment. It depicts an Arab on horseback with his native retainer loading a crouched camel. Titled "A Halt in the Desert" it was originally made as prize for the Goodwood Cup Race and was presented to the Regiment by Brigadier GRP Roupell VC CB DL.
This item is currently on display in the 1st Battalion.
This silver model and oak base is modelled after the Albuhera memorial in La Albuera, Spain. It consists of a silver brick base surmounted by four silver brick arches. eight columns and four Athenian porticos. Engraved on the base of two columns are the Spanish and Anglo Portuguese Generals. On the front portico is inscribed
A Los Valientes del 16 de Mayo 1811
La Comision os
Monumentos de Badajoz
which translates to
To the brave men of 16th May 1811
The Monuments Commission of Badajoz
As well as the copy of the Loving Cup the 2nd Battalion are also fortunate enough to hold an item with an even more direct link to the Middlesex Regiment’s (57th foot) valiant action at Albuhera in the guise of a small, yet very fine silver snuff box mounted in a silver trolley. The lid is quite ornate with the 57th’s crest flanked by colours and many items depicting the Napoleonic era battlefield.
Although smoking is no longer a universal pursuit in the Officers’ Mess this piece remains an important one. This is largely due to the impressive Buffs (or Tudor) dragon that surmounts the spacious two lidded cigarette box. It was bequeathed to the Regiment from the estate of the Late Sir Courtney Vyvian and forms one of the more intricate, as well as Regimentally anchored, interest pieces within the 2nd Battalion Mess.
The inscription reads, “Presented to the Colonel Sir Courtney Vyvian CBN CMG by his brother Officers in the Buffs 1929.”
Silver statuette of a Buffs WW2 soldier 1944. Regt with presentation plate engraved, 'Officers of the 1st Bn 1954.
Presented to the Officer's of the 2nd Battalion The Buffs by:
Captain HD De La Hill, Captain AD Geddess and Captain RGA Marriott in 1989.
The Danish royal family have been connected with the Buffs, then Queen's Regiment and now the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment since 1689. This beautiful statuette helps to cement the close ties.
The Dettingen Cup was presented by Lieutenant Colonel HL Smith DSO to his brother officers on leaving the Regiment on 21 June 1911. It depicts an event which occurred during the Battle of Dettingen in June 1743 where His Majesty King George II, led the British forces into battle, including 20th & 31st Foot. Mistaking the 31st Huntingdonshire Regiment for the 3rd Buffs, as their facings were similar, called out "Bravo Buffs" and when reminded it was the 31st his Majesty re-joined "Bravo Young Buffs".
The silver frame contains portions of the Colours from the Crimea Campaign carried at The Battle of The Alma by the 77th East Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own). It is designed after a church entrance, with 2 front panels. The left panel is engraved with the Coat of Arms of Ensign AF Maine (Queen's Colour) and the right panel is engraved with the initials of Ensign FJ Butts (Regimental Colour).
This is one of three Latham centrepieces held by the Regiment; one is with the 2nd Battalion; one with the 3rd Battalion and the third was gifted by The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment) to the National Army Museum. This third piece is currently on loan and can be seen in the Beanie Museum, Canterbury, where several items of The Buffs are also on display.