In 1908 the Liberal War Minster, Mr Haldane, converted the Militia into the Special Reserve, which meant that these battalions provided reinforcements for war. He converted the title ‘Volunteers’ into the ‘Territorial Force’, later the ‘Territorial Army’ and now the ‘Army Reserve’. This new force was re-equipped and made an integral part of the county regiments, usually bearing the same names and badges. Most of the Regiment’s forebears acquired two or more battalions each. These battalions helped form the basis for further expansion during the First World War.