The clay maquette was sculpted by Mary Beattie Scott and shows the Landing at ‘V’ Beach, Cape Helles, Turkey on 25th April 1915 from the Collier the River Clyde. The final bronze version now hangs in St Paul’s Cathedral in London.
Mary Beattie Scott studied drawing, painting and sculpture at Heatherly’s School of Art in London during the late 1940s where some of her early work had been accepted by the Royal Academy for their Summer Exhibition. In the 1950s she also completed many sculptural and painting commissions for the Fores Art Gallery in Bond Street, mainly for the owners of prize winning and champion horses, dogs and cattle.
Most of her bronze and silver sculptures had very limited editions and she had many pieces exhibited by the Society of Equestrian Artists over the years. She also had work accepted at the Mall Galleries in London for the Wild Life Exhibition.
More recently Mary Scott had two awards in the Equestrian Art Exhibition, London: Best Piece of Sculpture and the year before, Best Runner Up; also Winchester Art Exhibition, the sculpture prize.
The maquette was very generously donated to the Royal Hampshire Regiment Museum in 2014 by her son Philip following his mother’s death.