Danish Flag

artefact

Danish Parachute Officers in The Buffs 1945.

The Regiment’s links with Denmark are exceedingly strong, both historically and in the present, with HM Queen Margrethe II our incumbent Colonel-in-Chief. These links began as far back as 1689, with the appointment of Prince George of Denmark as Colonel of The Buffs. There was then a lapse of almost 200 years, but on the 9th of November 1906, the announcement was made of the appointment as Colonel-in-Chief of The Buffs of His Majesty King Frederick VIII of Denmark, KG, GCB, GCVO.

Successive monarchs of Denmark maintained this post through both World Wars which, in turn, led to the Buffs becoming an automatic regiment of choice for Danish exiles during World War 2. Many had previous service and fought with further distinction during this conflict, none more so than Major Anders Lassen VC, MC and 2 Bars** who also served with the SAS.

It is from this time that the piece has its origins. It takes the guise of a miniature silver flag staff of the Danish Royal House on circular base with rigging and Dannebrog flag. An indication of how cherished the relationship with Denmark is held is the fact that this piece is placed in front of the Commanding Officer at all Regimental dinners.

The inscription reads, “Danish Parachute Officers in the Buffs 1945.”

Each of the Battalions have one of these items and a further is held at Regimental Headquarters at The Tower of London.