This is a hand painted colour of the 7th (Service) Battalion of The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey). War Raised Units were just that so as soon as possible after the cessation of hostilities these units were disbanded. This particular Colour was returned to Stoughton Barracks on 13th June 1919 to be laid up along with similar colours in Holy Trinity Church Guildford before being transferred to the museum.
George V instigated the King's Colours for these War raised units and they were known as “Silk Union Flags” because they were not consecrated and because the units were disbanded there was no laying up of them. This Regimental Colour was, in many peoples opinion, more important than most official Colours because the Battle Honours on it are what the unit thought they deserved not some War Office committee!
The Colours were presented to the battalion by Lieutenant General Sir TLN Morland GOC XIII Corps on 16th January 1919 at Villiers Outreaux, France.
This valued artefact was destroyed in the fire at Clandon House in April 2015.